Kwibuka 23: Education still marked as major weapon against Genocide ideology
Reflecting on this year’s commemoration theme, Dr. Musafiri said that building on Rwanda’s progress requires self-sacrifice to every citizen by embarking on tough transformation decisions.
In their contribution to the wellbeing of Genocide survivors, the Ministry of Education with its affiliated institutions; Workforce Development Authority (WDA), Rwanda Education Board (REB), Rwanda’s Higher Education Council (HEC) and Umwalimu SACCO have been engaged in support activities through access to education, construction of houses and provision of live stock, among other services
Support activities under WDA in 2016 and affiliated institutions
Contribution of Rwf 500, 000 to Kamonyi genocide memorial site by WDA Staff.
· Constructed and donated a house worth Frw 20,000,000 to a Genocide survivor in Rushehe sector, Kicukiro district.
· Provision of Water tanks (under water collection & harvest project) to 50 house holds in Bumbogo sector, Gasabo district.
· Provision of 12 scholarships to Genocide orphans
· Donation of solar energy equipment supplier to 20 homes of Genocide widows in Gikonko Sector, located in Gisagara district. The solar energy equipment were accompanied by TV screens and radio sets and torches, worth 15 million Rwandan francs.
· Training 17 youth survivors of Genocide in Multimedia studies.
· Supporting 5 students under diploma courses
· Contribution of 4 cows worth Rwf 1,200,000 as donation to vulnerable house holds of Genocide survivors
· Training 25 women in Hospitality studies
· Training 25 youth in Construction
IPRC-North (Tumba College of Technology)
· Support to Nyarubuye Genocide memorial site.
· Donation of a house to the family of a Genocide survivor, worth Rwf 15,000,000.
Construction and equipping a house that was donated to a Genocide Survivor, worth 17,000,000.
Donated a cow and rehabilitated a kitchen for a Genocide survivor; all worth Frw 700,000
Constructed a house worth Frw 15,000,000, which was donated to a genocide survivor in Karenge cell , Kibungo sector of Ngoma district.
Gishali Integrated Polytechnic
· Constructed a house worth Frw 9,000,000 which was donated to a Genocide survivor in Munyiginya sector (Rwamagana district)
All people, including relatives to Genocide victims were called upon to provide information leading to those missing so that they can be included in future commemoration programs.
Like in the past years of commemoration, Rwandans are still urged to engage in more publications about the history of the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi as a means of fighting its ideology, spread through a similar way by the perpetrators.