In order to strengthen the delivery of technical skills in the sector and consequently improve on the quality of service delivery, WDA has established a world class Hospitality Academy in Remera, Gasabo district ideal for internationally competitive Hospitality training consistent with the standards of the 21st century. The centre also boasts of skilled trainers and industry experts that deliver the WDA demand led and competency based curricula.
The Academy started its operations on the 2nd July, 2012 with the following two-fold purpose that serve as a quick win short-term solution: To upgrade the skills of existing industry workers and; to conduct training of trainers in the hospitality sector institutions. So far, 116 employees have graduated and another 138 employees are currently undergoing the same training that lasts 240 hrs.
The Hospitality Training wing also carry out outreach programs upcountry since all hotels in the country can not benefit from the Remera Hospitality Academy and as such; this coming December, the training that took place in other provinces and the city of Kigali in the recent past will be replicated to the Eastern province which is currently the only province that has not benefited from this exercise.
- Food and Beverage Service (training of professional waiters and waitresses),
- Culinary Art (the art of professional cookery),
- Front Office Operations (training of the Receptionists, Guest relation officers, Reservation agents etc…) with strong emphasis on Quality customer service and communication skills.
- Housekeeping (room operations)
- Customer care and Workplace english will be cross-cutting modules in all the trades.
The overall objective for this program is to equip the participants with the hands-on technical skills, knowledge and the right attitude in hotel operations which will focus on mainly the following areas:
- Have good working knowledge of the products and services offered in hotels and Restaurants
- Acquire hands-on skills underpinning knowledge required for the quality service delivery in their respective areas.
- Able to deal with their clients with respect, politeness and courtesy.
- Have a sense of self-respect and passion for the job
- Know the importance of cleanliness in workplace
- Take good care of their personal grooming and hygiene.
- Be able to communicate and interact positively with guests.
- Have a good sense of Team work and organizational skills
- Know clearly the impact of international travelers (Tourists and other groups of travelers) towards the economic growth of Rwanda.
- Have a sense of going an extra mile in satisfying their guests’ needs and managing time schedules and coordinating activities in an organized manner.